This article describes how to complete basic file management tasks with cPanel’s File Manager.
Starting File Manager and browsing the filesystem
The cPanel File Manager makes it easy to browse your website’s directories.
Please follow these steps to start File Manager and navigate through the directory hierarchy:
- Log in to cPanel.
- Click File Manager in the FILES section of the cPanel home screen:
- On the left sidebar, find and click the name of the directory you want to open. The contents of the directory will appear in the right pane.
- Browse the directory hierarchy:
- To view the other directory or subdirectory, find and click its name in the left sidebar.
- Click Up One Level to move up a level in the filesystem.
- Click the + icon in the left sidebar to expand a directory.
- Click the – icon in the left sidebar to collapse a directory.
Creating new folders and files
It is easy to create a new folder or file in File Manager.
Please follow these steps to create a new folder:
- Click the + Folder icon in the File Manager main window.
- Type the name of the new folder in the New Folder Name text box.
- The New Folder will be created in the text box, make sure that the correct path is to where you want to create the folder.
- Click Create New Folder. cPanel creates the folder.
Please follow these steps to create a new file:
- Click the + File icon in the File Manager main window:
- Type the name of the new file in the New File Name text box.
- The New file will be created in the text box, make sure that the correct path is to where you want to create the file.
- Click Create New File. cPanel creates the file.
Copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files
Please follow these steps to copy, move, rename, or delete files:
- Select the file or files in the File Manager main window.
- Do the file operation that you want:
- Click the Copy icon to copy the file, type the destination directory, and then click Copy File(s).
- Click the Move icon to move the file, type the destination directory, and then click Move File(s).
- Click the Rename icon to rename the file, type the new filename, and then click Rename File.
- Click the Delete icon to delete the file.
- Click Confirm.
Searching for files
The File Manager can also be used to search for a specific file or set of files. For example, you can search for all files that have the word disc in their names.
Please follow these steps to search for a file:
- Select the location to search for the file in the Search list box in the top-right corner of the File Manager main window. Here are locations where you can search for files:
- All of your files (that is, in your home directory and in all subdirectories beneath it).
- Only your public_html directory.
- Current directory.
- Type the name of the file that you want to find in the text box, and then click Go.
You can enter partial filenames to use in your search. For example, if you type mail, File Manager finds files that are named maildirsize and .contactemail as well (assuming that these files actually exist).
Looking for an outstanding cPanel-based web hosting provider? Try our web hosting packages with cPanel